Thursday 14 February 2013

Frugal Food: Cheese and Lentil Loaf



When I was an impressionable teenager I became a vegetarian after watching a tv programme about factory farming.  Fourteen years later, I was a backpacking vegetarian who was very hungry after travelling in Central America.  Walking past a bakery in New Zealand, I spotted a delicious looking bun in the window.  I asked at the counter if that was bacon on the top of the bun.  'Yes' they said.  'I'll have one' I said.  And so ended my strictly vegetarian years! New Zealand turned me!

I did hang on to some of my vegetarian cookbooks though and Vegetarian Kitchen by Sarah Brown is still a firm favourite.  Her cheese and lentil loaf recipe is fabulous.  Easy to put together, very tasty and can be eaten hot or cold.  It's a good way to use up any old ends of cheese lurking in the fridge.  I usually eat it with a green salad and sliced tomatoes, sprinkled with salt and pepper to draw out their flavour.  Perhaps new potatoes too.  It's also good in a sandwich next day.  

Cheese and Lentil Loaf

175g red lentils
350ml water
110g cheddar cheese, grated
1 onion, finely chopped
tsp dried parsley

½ tsp cayenne pepper
little lemon juice
1 large egg
3 tbsp single cream or milk

Preheat oven to gas mark 5, 375ºF, 190ºC

Rinse lentils then cook in a tightly covered pan with the water for 10-15 minutes.  Check after 10 minutes to see if more water is needed.  The mixture should cook to a stiff puree.

Remove from the heat and add the cheese, onion, parsley, cayenne pepper and lemon juice.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.

In a separate bowl, lightly beat the egg, stir in the cream or milk and then pour the mixture over the lentils.  

Grease a 1lb loaf tin, press in the lentil mixture and bake for 45 - 50 minutes until the top is golden brown and the mixture is firm to the touch.

Leave to cook for ten minutes in the tin before turning out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment